Friday, August 8, 2008

Baked Mini Traditional Mooncake - 迷你传统月饼

This is the first time that i baked traditional mooncake. I am so happy and excited. Because traditional mooncake is one of the toughest to make among all mooncakes. This is due to the skin texture, baking time and so on. And the trickiest part is that you will not know if your mooncake is successful or not until the 3rd day of making. Because this is the time whereby the mooncake will "return oil" (回油 - direct translation from cantonese), whereby it will help to "soften" the skin. Because normally the skin will be hard when freshly baked.
.
I did not attend any courses about mooncake making. I just do research on the internet and also through reading several blogs on the making and ingredients. And i am very happy to say that it was very successful. The only thing that i need to improve is the wrapping, as the "skin" was quite thick at some part. But overall, i am very pleased with the results. I hope that this is not by chance and the next few batches will be better and better.
.
I will update more information after i am done with all my mooncake experiments.

My first batch of minis after first round of baking

Still my first batch of minis but after second round of baking

I added a quarter of the salted egg

No comments: